TMJ DisordersAn Overview
Temporomandibular disorders are chronic facial pain disorders that can impact a patient’s quality of life. TMJ occurs when the jaw joint is stressed or damaged and can not properly function. For some patients, crooked teeth or malocclusion cause TMJ, while others may be grinding or clenching their teeth.
Patients commonly live for many years suffering from TMJ unaware that their dentist may be able to help alleviate painful symptoms. Dr. Uttma Dham offers nightguards, Invisalign, and Botox as treatment options for her patients.
Signs & Symptoms of TMJ Disorders
Recognizing the symptoms of problems like TMJ can keep them from interfering with the quality of a patient’s daily life. For many, over-the-counter pain medications offer little to no relief, and restorative dental care is needed to relieve symptoms.
Symptoms of TMJ include:
- Difficulty or discomfort when chewing
- Chronic headaches
- Pain in the face, jaw, temples, or neck
- Clicking or popping of the jaw
- Numbness in the hands
Dr. Uttma and her staff are by far the most friendly and professional group of people, period. Watching how they work as a unit while having my service done is amazing. I would recommend her to any and everyone.Eugene W.
This is NOT the typical dentist office! Wonder people who provide great personal service. I actually like going to their office. You are more than a number, they really care, and the dentist is an exceptional person.David B.
A pleasure being a Westside Dental Patient!! Dr. Dham is super friendly, knowledgeable....a DREAM!!! Staff extremely friendly.Gene S.
The staff and Dr. Dham are very friendly. The office is always very clean and welcoming. I have a slight fear of the dentists. Yet, I've had all of my wisdom teeth extracted in the past. Today I had a root canal. Although this procedure is quite scary (at least…Emilia C.
I wish I had met Dr. Dharm and her staff years ago. Better late than never. This was the most extensive dental work I have ever had. Dr. Dharm's skill and concern got me through it all. Her staff is not only professional but caring and friendly. They are all…Nia I.
TMJ Disorders What to Expect
TMJ is a complex oral health concern that has no one fix all solution. A thorough oral health examination can help determine the underlying cause of the chronic pain condition. Reviewing the patient’s lifestyle and sleeping habits also helps build a comprehensive treatment plan.
Relieving Chronic Pain
- Oral Sleep Appliance: For patients whose TMJ disorder is caused or agitated by chronic teeth grinding, an oral sleep appliance may offer relief. These nightguards are custom designed to comfortably and securely fit in the patient’s mouth. The device realigns the bite and prevents the upper and lower jaw from grinding together during sleep.
- Invisalign®: Dr. Dham is a Plantation, FL Invisalign preferred provider. Invisalign is commonly used to treat TMJ caused by malocclusion or crooked teeth. As the Invisalign aligners gradually shift teeth into alignment, many patients experience relief from their chronic pain.
- Botox®: Botox is an FDA-approved treatment for patients who want to rejuvenate their skin or find relief from TMJ pain. Dr. Dham offers facial esthetic treatments such as Botox to smooth the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. However, Botox can also relax the muscles in the face to stop chronic headaches and facial pain caused by TMJ disorders.