TMJ TreatmentAn Overview
Temporomandibular Joint Disorder is a chronic facial pain disorder that can impact a patient’s quality of life. TMJ occurs when the jaw joint is stressed or damaged and can not properly function. Patients commonly live for many years suffering from TMJ unaware that their dentist may be able to help alleviate painful symptoms.
Dr. Uttma Dham has specialized training in the functional diagnosis and treatment of TMJ disorders. Dr. Dham works with patients to determine the underlying cause of their bite and jaw malfunction. For some patients crooked teeth or malocclusion cause TMJ, while others may be grinding or clenching their teeth.
Signs & Symptoms: Diagnosing TMD
As with most dental health concerns, early diagnosis and treatment can prevent secondary oral health complications and prevent TMJ from interfering with the quality of a patients daily life.
Being able to recognize the symptoms of TMJ can help patients seek the appropriate health. For most patients suffering from TMJ over the counter pain medications offer little to no relief, and more advanced functional correction is needed to relieve symptoms.
Symptoms of TMJ include:
- Difficulty or discomfort when chewing
- Pain in the face, jaw, temples or neck
- Clicking or popping of the jaw
- Numbness in the hands
Dr. Uttma and her staff are by far the most friendly and professional group of people, period. Watching how they work as a unit while having my service done is amazing. I would recommend her to any and everyone.Eugene W.
This is NOT the typical dentist office! Wonder people who provide great personal service. I actually like going to their office. You are more than a number, they really care, and the dentist is an exceptional person.David B.
A pleasure being a Westside Dental Patient!! Dr. Dham is super friendly, knowledgeable....a DREAM!!! Staff extremely friendly.Gene S.
The staff and Dr. Dham are very friendly. The office is always very clean and welcoming. I have a slight fear of the dentists. Yet, I've had all of my wisdom teeth extracted in the past. Today I had a root canal. Although this procedure is quite scary (at least…Emilia C.
I wish I had met Dr. Dharm and her staff years ago. Better late than never. This was the most extensive dental work I have ever had. Dr. Dharm's skill and concern got me through it all. Her staff is not only professional but caring and friendly. They are all…Nia I.
TMJ Treatment What to Expect
TMJ is a complex oral health concern that has no one fix all solution. Patients experiencing TMJ require extensive jaw and bite analysis and a thorough oral health examination to determine the underlying cause of the chronic pain condition. Dr. Dham offers personalized exams to analyze the alignment of the bite and will review the patient’s lifestyle and sleeping habits to build a comprehensive treatment plan.
Relieving Chronic Pain: Treating TMJ
- Oral Sleep Appliance: For patients whose TMJ disorder is caused or agitated by chronic teeth grinding, an oral sleep appliance may offer relief. Oral sleep appliances are custom designed to comfortably and securely fit in the patient’s mouth. The device realigns the bite and prevents the upper and lower jaw from grinding together during sleep.
- Invisalign®: Dr. Dham is a Plantation, FL Invisalign preferred provider. Invisalign is commonly used to treat TMJ caused by malocclusion or crooked teeth. As the Invisalign aligners gradually shift teeth into alignment, many patients experience relief from their chronic pain.
- Change in lifestyle habits: Dr. Dham may recommend exercise, meditation, yoga, and other therapeutic activities to help patients release stress and tension to prevent jaw clenching or grinding. Dr. Dham may make other recommendations for changes that may help alleviate TMJ pain.